It's important to clean one's teeth after consuming sugar. Schedule a checkup for your child today.At our dental center, your concerns and needs are at the forefront of our mind. We focus on providing quality dental care and can review the proper oral hygiene steps that you can take to stay healthy.Dental CenterAt Leardi Family…
Osteonecrosis of the JawOsteonecrosis means “areas of dead bone.” It can occur in one or more bones, quite frequently the knee of hip, as a result of treatment with cortisone-like drugs such as prednisone, or after an injury. Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) is a debilitating bone disease which affects the maxilla- and the mandible- areas of the jaw.Several different forms of ONJ have been reported for more than a century, along with a number of causes suggested in the literature. But did you know –
- ONJ was first discovered in Florida among a population of patients who were taking bisphosphonate (or bone-strengthening) drugs, required by some cancer treatment regimens as well as treatment for osteoporosis.
- It is difficult to explain and understand why a drug that strengthens your bones could destroy your jaw.
- Bisphosphonate drugs remain in the body for at least ten years after discontinuation.
- The best way to lower risk of ONJ is through proper oral hygiene along with routine dental visits to prevent infections or periodontal (gum) disease
- Regular cleanings by the dentist should be performed with careful attention paid to avoiding soft-tissue injuries
- Dentures should be examined carefully to minimize their potential for soft-tissue injury and adjusted if required
- Dental surgery should be scheduled prior to starting a bisphosphonate therapy, or, if possible, stop bisphosphonate treatment for several months before dental surgery, and resume only after the surgical area is healed.
- Begin a course of antibiotics prior to dental surgery
- Seek the care of a doctor who specializes in metabolic bone disorders and is knowledgeable about bisphosphonates therapy and their potential side effects.
As a dentist in Kennett Square, we encourage you to call our office immediately after losing a tooth. We will do our best to ensure that you are never in this situation by keeping your teeth clean and in good health throughout your lifetime. However, there are certain times where tooth loss is inevitable, like a…
You can develop oral health problems that go far beyond cavities and gum disease. As a dentist in Kennett Square, our goal is to ensure that you do not and that you remain as healthy as possible. To do so, we would like to see you twice a year for a thorough examination and teeth…
In this Wall Street Journal article read why the mouth could offer clues to disorders and disease and why dentists could play a larger role in patient care.The eyes may be the window to the soul, but the mouth provides an even better view of the body as a whole. Your teeth are important! If…